As a post-16 provider Athena Sixth Form College receives an allocation of funds for the academic year. Once these funds have been awarded to eligible pupils there is no guarantee that further monies will be available to support learners who subsequently submit an application.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Vulnerable young people – those in care, care leavers, young people in receipt of income support and disabled young people in receipt of Employment Support Allowance who are also in receipt of Disability Living Allowance.
- Discretionary bursaries- currently considered in the following situation:
- Young people who are eligible to receive a Free School Meal or have been so in the last 6 years, have been in care, or have a parent in the armed forces.
- Young people whose household income is below a set limit, (currently £21,268).
- Young people who have been affected by a sudden, exceptional change in financial circumstances.
Athena Sixth Form College is responsible for awarding discretionary bursaries to students, and can decide on the amount, when bursaries are paid and the conditions linked to them. We therefore use our discretion to make awards to young people in ways that best fit their needs and circumstances. The awards will be targeted towards young people facing financial barriers to participation, for instance the cost of transport, meals, books, trips and equipment. The amount awarded for a discretionary bursary is variable.