The Football & Education Programme aims to provide like-minded, talented footballers within Norfolk and Suffolk the opportunity to continue their development.
Based at Downham Market Academy, students will have access to some fantastic facilities, as well as a range
of support both from school staff and the Foundation’s coaching team. A vibrant school setting, combined with an excellent football provision, ensures students have everything in place to be successful both on and off the pitch.
Players are supported with their transition into local football at a level and environment deemed best-suited for their personal development at that moment in time.
Aim & Objectives
To deliver a pathway where like-minded, talented local footballers can maximise their personal progression both on and off the pitch.
- Provide a learning environment that uses the power of sport, football and Norwich City FC as a tool for engaging delivery at every possible opportunity.
- Provide a high quality football learning provision focused on personal progression rather than results.
- Provide regular contact with positive, professional role models who can use their experiences to support participants’ personal progression.
- Provide a holistic personal development programme that underpins academic and football progression.
- Provide experiences and information linked to relevant football, academic and vocational exit routes with clear, proven and supported individual pathways in place.
- Provide environments that engage, inspire, challenge and develop at every opportunity.
Students completing the Level 3 course will have the opportunity to move into higher education at university and are fully supported with their UCAS and bursary support applications. To date, numerous students from our Football & Education programmes have gone on to excel with further studies across a wide range of courses and universities throughout the UK.
Students who show the ability to progress within football, both locally and overseas, have a clear and proven support pathway to do so. Many students have already progressed into semi-professional football, had opportunities at professional clubs and gained overseas scholarships in the USA.
The education element of the programme will see students working towards the Cambridge National Extended Diploma in Sport, the equivalent of three full A-levels, ensuring university progression becomes a real option.
All delivery is angled to include a football theme to increase engagement and success in learning.
Over the two-year programme, students will study a variety of sports-based units. Example units include:
- Sports Coaching
Working alongside ex-professionals and observing training sessions
- Performance Analysis in Sport
Observing live Norwich City FC matches and analysis footage
- Sports Injuries and Rehabilitation
Study high-profile injuries & engage with professional physios
- Improving Fitness for Sport
In-depth study of pre-season training programmes
- Sports Organisation and Development
Looking at the role of the FA within football
A comprehensive football coaching programme allows for individual and team development through a series of technical and tactical sessions across the week, based around the 11-a-side game.
Players will also take part in a series of Futsal activities and fixtures to support their technical development, mobility and overall in-game decision making.
Players selected for squads will have the opportunity to represent Norwich City Football Club against other programmes, professional clubs and colleges.
Throughout their time on the programme, students are surrounded by positive role models who have experience in a variety of areas, and provide a support network for the students.
Students are also supported with their off-field development through our Life Skills Programme which focuses on topics that complement both the student and programme’s needs. Over the two years, students will receive workshops and additional support in the following core areas:
- Alcohol awareness
- CV writing
- Driving awareness
- Drug awareness
- Extremism awareness
- Mental health
- Online safety
- Personal finance
- Sexual health/relationships